Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seinfeld Moment

I was given the maximum amount of anti-contraction medication but even so, I was still having consistent laboring. Plan B, C, D – were all discussed and finally, it was decided I should be airlifted to the hospital in Seattle but at the last minute the team decided I was not critical enough and I didn't get a ride. Not critical enough? My baby was probably coming 9 weeks early. To me, that was critical. I have never ridden in a helicopter and thought it might be an interesting way to take my first trip but then came back to reality and realized a medical evacuation is not a good thing.

I was fretting over not having any clothes to wear. I look back and think to myself, ”Where was I planning on going?” The medics had cut my clothes off and threw everything away, including my shoes. I lingered in a Seinfeld moment as I kept worrying about how I was going to get clothes in case they decided to send me home that night. I didn’t want to walk out of the hospital with a gown on that did not cover my pregnant body. I did had some dignity left!

It must have been clear to my obliging father that this was upsetting me because he made his way to Fred Meyer and bought me sweats and slippers. In the back of my mind, I knew I wasn't going anywhere but it was my way of coping. New sweats and slippers was my way of clinging to the hope that everything was fine, that I was fine, and that Katie was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment