Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's Been A While


It's been a while since I posted. I know the social media books say a blogger is supposed to post everyday, but frankly, it was getting overwhelming for me. That's because I have been dealing with Post Traumatic Stress from my delivery of Katie 4 years ago.

I have since learned it is common for mother's who have had a traumatic birthing experience to suffer from PTSD. Post partum depression is covered in the birthing books, but how to deal with post-traumatic birth isn't a hot topic. But nothing is normal with a premature birth so why should I expect this topic to fall within the same "this is normal" category.

Panic attacks, racing images of the day, triggered by sounds, senses and sights can lead me into feeling out of control and right back in the space of near death. Another learning curve 4 years later when I had thought I had healed and moved passed the trauma of the day leading up to and the day of her birth. But again, as life has shown me, nothing is normal when you have a premature baby.

How do you cope when your memories are as vivid as the day they occurred?

No comments:

Post a Comment