Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Alone Together

There was some discussion as to whether or not I should go home, spend the night at St. Pete's, or be transported via Medivac (air ambulance) to Swedish Hospital . The team made it clear that they did not specialize in high-risk pregnancies nor did they have a neonatal intensive care unit. There it was. Out of the blue Katie and I had become a high-risk pregnancy. If either of us crashed in the next little while, I would have to deliver via C-section and they would send us via a seven-minute Medivac ride to Seattle for further care. I knew in my mind that was NOT going to happen. I still had some control but the hurricane was picking up wind speed.

Have you ever felt alone even when you have had people around you? It’s not the first time in my life I have felt that way, but now, laying in a hospital bed experiencing something so unbelievable and out of my control, I felt desperately on my own.  I mulled over the events of the day. What had just happened? What was going to happen? I was in denial even as this was happening to us. I focused my attention to my daughter's steady heartbeat on the fetal monitor. We were alone together, with one heck of a story to tell.


Few days before our adventure began....

No comments:

Post a Comment